Apr 15, 2014

An Epic Vacation to Lima, Perú

An Epic Vacation to Lima, Perú

Slideshow at the bottom of this post 

Abdias, the kids and I at the Panaderia San Antonio in Lima
As December 2013 began, my family and I were in the middle of packing up our belongings, donating a whole lot of things and putting everything that we would be taking to Texas in a storage unit at the U-haul storage on E. Colonial Dr. Our friend Shannon picked up our doggie Pancho (thank you Shannon!!!) as she would be dog-sitting for the next 4 weeks since before moving to Texas, we were headed for a an epic family vacation to Lima, Perú!

We drove down to Miami to meet the rest of our gigantic family and on Sunday, December 22, during one of the busiest travel times of the year, we all boarded a plane to Lima, Perú.

I was born in Lima, Perú in March of 1981 and my family moved out of there in 1989, so any chance I get to go back to my homeland is very special to me. This time I was excited not only to be going with my husband and two sons, but also with my 3 brothers, their families and my parents.

My Mama, Tia Gaby and I 
We spent almost a month in Perú and during that time we visited my grandma, my great aunt, my aunties and all my favorite places and houses where we grew up. We ate at some of the most delicious restaurants and had Ceviche, drank Pisco Sours and Chicha morada to our heart's content.

Abdias & I at Club Regatas on NYE
Christmas was a good time since my oldest brother Alfonso celebrates his Birthday on 12/24, so our partying was double the fun that night. (wooo-hooo!). My brother Antonio dressed as Santa for the kiddos and we got to see cousins, Aunts and uncles that we hadn't seen  in years!
New Years was pretty fun too, we danced the night away at the Regatas Club on the coast of Lima and had the best time welcoming the new year while the kids all stayed home with the nanny eating grapes and dressed in yellow with our their beloved nanny, Normita.

The kids in Ollantaytambo
Even though everything we had done to that point was fun and exciting, nothing came close to the trip we took on January 3rd to Cusco, Perú, the land of the Incan empire. We boarded our flight to Cusco and prepared ourselves mentally for the altitude we would soon experience. Cusco is located at an altitude of 11,150 ft above sea level which is a huge jump from what we are used to. Thankfully the transition was smooth and no one got sick from the altitude change.

The weather was chilly and humid and the history embedded in every breath was a feast to our eyes from the moment we stepped out of the Cusco airport. We stayed at a really nice hotel, Casa Andina. From there, we took excursions everyday and visited the most breathtaking sites I have ever seen in my entire life including, The Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo and of course, Macchu Picchu. 

Epic Family Photo in Macchu Picchu with the worl famous Wayna Picchu behind us

My mom, Dad, Abdias & I
When we got back to Lima, we still had another week of fun left and I even got a visit from two dear childhood friends whom I hadn't seen since I was a pre-teen! Needless to say, this trip was truly Epic and I could go on and on about everything my family and I experienced, but I'll let you see it all for yourself. In the course of the 4 weeks, I took almost 2000 photos, but I narrowed it down to my favorites in the slideshow below.

I want to thank my family for being so open to spending this amazing time together and most of all, I want to thank my mom and dad for giving us this gift of memories and anecdotes that will last a lifetime.

Slide show below:


Songs featured in video:
1. Mi Perú - Conjunto Embrujo Barranquino
2. Cariñito - Hijos del Sol
3. Medley de Valses - Arturo "Zambo" Cavero & Oscar Aviles






1 comment:

Gail Peck said...

This sounds just wonderful Carolina--so happy for you! I miss you and am happy to see from your fb posts that you seem to be happy in Texas!